Feeling under challenged, overwhelmed or bored at a company that isn’t letting you flex your software developer muscle?
Come take up the position of Principal Software Engineer at GCD. We’re small enough that we feel like family, but big enough to take on innovative software projects for amazing brands like Coca Cola, Fane Valley, Belfast Telegraph and many more…
Be part of a team that creates great software solutions and see firsthand your work making a big difference in the hands of our clients.
Be a part of GCD……
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will lead from the frontline in making great architectural choices and inspiring those around you to be the very best they can be.
At GCD, we have four key principles of responsibility:
- WORK PRODUCTIVELY
- WORK SKILLFULLY
- WORK COLLABORATIVELY
- WORK PROFESSIONALLY
In each of these pillars you’ll find key areas of responsibility, leadership and commercial awareness which we expect of our Principal Software Engineers. We’ll need you to:
- Design, architect and build a wide range of robust, resilient custom software solutions using Typescript, React and Node that respect:
- A client’s budget or appetite for risk,
- The teams experience and ability to onboard in new technologies,
- The requirement for security,
- The ability to be productive and deliver real value to a customer,
- The goal of ‘reuse’ to focus on solving new problems, not reworking old ones.
- With a customer-centric approach, research, consider and implement new technologies that help improve how we deliver custom solutions.
- Proactively contribute to a team culture that values challenging convention, promotes robustness and delivers more.
- Advise product owners on appropriate technology choices based on an effort versus value based analysis.
- Help the team break down user stories into actionable tasks that reduce risk, maximise collaboration, keep up momentum and continually deliver value
- Work with peers to foster our culture; challenging and encouraging for the benefit of all.
- Join our mentoring pool to be available as a mentor to 1-3 individuals if required.
- Be ready to share the load and help those who need it.
- Love learning, be curious and always be growing your skills and experience.
- Write excellent documentation
If all that sounds like the perfect opportunity for you then there are just a few more essential criteria you need:
- A minimum of 7 years experience in the software industry.
- Experience working within an agile environment.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.
- A keen eye for detail and a passion for quality, robust solutions.
- Desire to keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and practices, constantly challenging conventions and your own understanding.
- Eligible to live and work in the UK.
Good to have:
- Evidence of contribution to a personal or open source project.
- Evidence of taking a leadership role in a technical team.
- Client facing experience.
GCD was founded in 1999 by our two founders, in their student accommodation in Queen’s University, Belfast. It was a time of dial up internet, Netscape browsers and Napster. People didn’t ‘google’ things, smartphones didn’t exist and business software was grey and dreary.
Our ambition back then was (and still is) to create better software for businesses; to replace those ‘grey’ out of the box digital solutions, that barely work and are a pain to use, with beautifully designed custom software products and platforms that help businesses innovate, compete and win.
How we work
Behind our software solutions is a close-knit team of dedicated, ambitious engineers, thinkers and inventors. We love what we do - imagining, designing and building custom software solutions and apps that defy expectations and deliver results for our clients.