GCD was founded in 1999 by our two founders, in their student accommodation in Queen’s University, Belfast. It was a time of dial up internet, Netscape browsers and Napster. People didn’t ‘google’ things, smartphones didn’t exist and business software was grey and dreary.
Our ambition back then was (and still is) to create better software for businesses; to replace those ‘grey’ out of the box digital solutions, that barely work and are a pain to use, with beautifully designed custom software products and platforms that help businesses innovate, compete and win.
How we work
Behind our software solutions is a close-knit team of dedicated, ambitious engineers, thinkers and inventors. We love what we do - imagining, designing and building custom software solutions and apps that defy expectations and deliver results for our clients.
We very much miss seeing each other in ‘real life’ and are genuinely looking forward to the day that we can have in-person chats and work together again at the office. Our plans however are to continue to embrace and offer a flexible approach to working, affording our staff the choice to work from where they feel they will be most productive, whether that’s at home, in the office or a blend of both.
We’re seeking an experienced Senior Software Developer to join our team in building complex custom solutions for our varied range of clients. Working within a full end-to-end team, we guarantee you the opportunity to develop your career and work on projects that are diverse, enjoyable and rewarding.
Read on to learn more about the role responsibilities...
Key Responsibilities of a Senior Web Developer:
At GCD, have four key principles of responsibility:
- WORK PRODUCTIVELY
- WORK SKILLFULLY
- WORK COLLABORATIVELY
- WORK PROFESSIONALLY
In each of these pillars you’ll find key areas of responsibility, leadership and commercial awareness which we expect of our Senior Software Developers, some of these include:
- Build high performance, secure applications with the very best of user experiences in mind.
- Learn the commercial context of your role, be confident with estimation and work to maximise the features we can deliver.
- Respect your teammates by ensuring you test your own work to a high standard; create unit and automated tests wherever possible and develop a methodical approach to testing your own user interfaces.
- Be ready to share the load and help those who need it.
- Mentor junior staff and work with peers to foster our culture; challenging and encouraging for the benefit of all.
- Love learning, be curious and always be growing your skills and experience.
- Develop a depth of understanding in computer science, programming theory and software security.
- Write good documentation & record time sheets diligently.
- Be mindful that you are also part of a wider team in GCD and proactively contribute to a team culture that challenges convention, promotes robustness and delivers more.
If all that sounds like the perfect opportunity for you then there are just a few more essential criteria you need:
- Ability to undertake the responsibilities of being a Senior software engineer at GCD.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the software industry.
- Experience of working within an agile environment.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.