GCD was founded in 1999 by our two founders, in their student accommodation in Queen’s University, Belfast. It was a time of dial up internet, Netscape browsers and Napster. People didn’t ‘google’ things, smartphones didn’t exist and business software was grey and dreary.
Our ambition back then was (and still is) to create better software for businesses; to replace those ‘grey’ out of the box digital solutions, that barely work and are a pain to use, with beautifully designed custom software products and platforms that help businesses innovate, compete and win.
How we work
Behind our software solutions is a close-knit team of dedicated, ambitious engineers, thinkers and inventors. We love what we do - imagining, designing and building custom software solutions and apps that defy expectations and deliver results for our clients.
We use TypeScript to leverage the very best of high productivity workflows combined with the rigour of SOLID engineering principles. If you love building elegant and robust solutions that separate concerns, decouple dependencies and allow for high levels of testing automation, this could be the perfect role for you.
Everyone at GCD has been working remotely for the past year, in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, and we very much miss seeing each other in ‘real life’. We are genuinely looking forward to the day that we can have in-person chats and work together again at the office. Our plans however are to continue to embrace and offer a flexible approach to working, affording our staff the choice to work from where they feel they will be most productive, whether that’s at home, in the office or a blend of both.
Read on to learn more about the role responsibilities...
Key Responsibilities of a TypeScript Developer:
At GCD, have four key principles of responsibility:
- WORK PRODUCTIVELY
- WORK COLLABORATIVELY
In each of these pillars you’ll find key areas of responsibility, leadership and commercial awareness which we expect of our Software Developers, some of these include:
- Build high performance, secure applications with the very best of user experiences in mind.
- Be aware of the client’s budget on individual features and the project as a whole.
- Make pragmatic decisions based on value to the customer and their business.
Liaise with the customer to clarify questions or get further information
Respect your teammates by ensuring you test your own work to a high standard; create unit and automated tests wherever possible and develop a methodical approach to testing your own user interfaces.
- Be ready to share the load and help those who need it.
Love learning, be curious and always be growing your skills and experience.
- Develop a depth of understanding in computer science, programming theory and software security.
- Write good documentation & record time sheets diligently.
Be mindful that you are also part of a wider team in GCD and proactively contribute to a team culture that challenges convention, promotes robustness and delivers more.
If all that sounds like the perfect opportunity for you then there are just a few more essential criteria you need:
- Ability to undertake the responsibilities of being a software engineer at GCD.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the software industry.
- A passion for programming
- Experience of working within an agile environment.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.
Good knowledge of the TypeScript language and OOP principles
- Eligible to live and work in the UK.